EMAIL: HILLYGROUND@TISCALI.CO.UK TEL: 01258 473890
ANNUAL EVENTS in dorset
Whatever time of year you come here for a holiday, there's nearly always an event happening nearby.
- Shaftesbury Snowdrop Festival, February 2019: Shaftesbury is Britain's first "Snowdrop Town", with many snowdrop walks.
- Abbey Hill Steam Rally, early May bank holiday weekend (May 3-6 2019): vintage vehicles, show ring, craft & model tent, Auto Jumble, fairground.
Sherborne Abbey Music Festival, 3-7 May 2019: Wonderful music of all kinds.
Christchurch Food and Wine Festival, 11-12 May 2019: One of the premier events of its type, with stalls, visiting chefs, a treat for foodies.
Bournemouth Wheels Festival, 29-31 May 2019: Classic cars, BMX stunts, Monster Trucks, and generally lots of wheely vehicular stuff.
Royal Bath and West Show, 29 May-1 June 2019: Covers everything rural and agricultural, with competitions, exhibits, entertainment, farm animals, tractors, local food.
Shaftesbury Food and Drink Festival, 12th May 2019: Celebrating the best of the town's food, music, art and culture.
- Dorset Art Weeks, next on in 2020 (every other year): one of the largest Open Studio Events in the country, in a large range of venues throughout Dorset.
- Wimborne Minster Folk Festival, 7-9 June 2019: a weekend full of family fun and the finest folk music and dance.
- Swanage Jazz Festival, 11-15 July 2019: Top class jazz ranging from New Orleans revivalism and Dixieland to post-bop and contemporary sounds, by way of swing and mainstream.
- Larmer Tree Festival, 18-21 July 2019: Music, workshops, arts and crafts, holistic therapies, children’s activities, street theatre, sculpture garden.
- Gillingham and Shaftesbury Agricultural Show, 14 August 2019: Traditional agricultural show with cattle, sheep, horses, KC dog show; horticulture, homecraft and art classes; three events rings; lots more.
Bournemouth Air Festival, 29 August-1 September 2019: Planes old and new, the Red Arrows, wing-walking, night flying, fireworks, lots of displays.
- Melplash Agricultural Show, 22 August 2019: The South West's premier agricultural exhibition with shows, classes, competitions.
The Great Dorset Steam Fair, 22-26 August 2019: the world’s leading steam and vintage preservation event. Over 200 working steam engines and 100 fairground organs together with the old time steam funfair, rural crafts and heavy shire horses create a fantastic atmosphere with lots to do and see.
Dorset County Show, 7-8 September 2019: crammed full of animal shows, magnificent displays, trade stalls and all the fun of the fair!
Bridport Hat Festival, 7 September 2019: Hats, live music, trade stands, food and fun.
- Sturminster Newton Cheese Festival, 14-15 September 2019: The quality local foods and craft festival celebrating the cheese-making and dairy heritage of the Blackmore Vale. It’s our local show and it’s great!
- Bournemouth Arts by the Sea Festival, September/October 2019: Amazing acts, interactive installations and unexpected treats to challenge your perceptions and delight people of every age.
Useful websites for information on local activities, events and maps: